This week on the Here’s What We Know Podcast, we sit down with the lead vocals, lead guitar, and fiddle of the renowned ’90s country band, Ricochet. Tall, good-looking, and incredibly talented Heath Wright shares his epic journey from delivering donuts to insurance agencies with our very own host, Gary Scott Thomas, to becoming a cattle rancher in Oklahoma. He reminisces about the bizarre things bands did back in their early days and gives us an inside look into life on a ranch, new music releases, and his reflections on being part of a band. Join us in this amazing episode filled with laughter and more! Tune in now!
This episode is sponsored by:
(Be sure to tell them Gary sent you!)
In this Episode:
- The early days: Reminiscing about when Ricochet delivered donuts to an insurance agency, showcasing the unique promotional stunts bands undertook while climbing their way to fame.
- A day in the life of a rancher: Heath candidly shares his current routine of tending to sick animals on his cattle ranch, highlighting how far removed it is from the typical musician’s lifestyle.
- Nostalgia hits hard: They reflect on ’90s country music trends and discuss why some bands endure while others fade away.
- The evolution of performance: Heath talks about singing their hit song “Daddy’s Money” 30 years later and jokes about wishing he’d recorded it in a lower key due to changing vocal ranges over time.
- Behind-the-scenes look at recording: Insights into re-recording classic hits for today’s audience using modern technology are shared, preserving originality while enhancing sound quality.
- Album release excitement: There’s a buzz around Ricochet’s new album, featuring both rerecorded classics and fresh tracks that blend past glory with present vibrancy.
- Thought-provoking discussions reveal what goes into maintaining longevity in music, including making tough business decisions similar to those made by other successful groups like Sawyer Brown and KISS.
I’ll Still Be Loving You by Restless Heart (Live Performance with Heath Wright)
“I got to thinking to myself, well, If I’m lucky, I might get 10 years out of this, out of this career. But here I am 30 years later, still, still singing Daddy’s Money in the original key.” ~ Heath Wright
“If I had it to do over again, I don’t know that I would be in a band, or if I were, I would probably do it more like Mark Miller did it.” ~ Heath Wright
“I’m one of those guys who loves country music. I’ve been a country music fan long before I was a country music artist.” ~ Heath Wright
“When I go see a band, and I still do, I still go to concerts, I still love to listen to music and go out and listen to live performances and stuff, and, uh, when I do that, I like to sing along with the songs.” ~ Heath Wright
“I loved it. It is refreshing that you’re so knowledgeable and that you’ve actually done your homework on Ricochet.” ~ Heath Wright
“I refer to myself as the spare tire of Restless Hearts. So they called me the sixth member. I’m basically the spare tire.” ~ Heath Wright
“My band is made up of professionals. I’ve handpicked the very best musicians out of Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas.” ~ Heath Wright
“I need people to understand that, you know, even though these aren’t the original guys anymore, these are the best guys in the business.” ~ Heath Wright
Heath Wright is the lead vocal, lead guitar, and fiddle of the country music band Ricochet. He is a proud native of Vian, Oklahoma, and has always stayed true to his roots, even during his 15-year stint in Nashville, TN. Heath’s journey began on the Rockin’ W Ranch, where he serenaded a captive audience of Hereford cows and honed his musical talents. Despite early shyness, Heath’s passion for music blossomed, leading him to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management at Northeastern State University before delving into a unique Country Music degree program at South Plains College.
Upon graduation, Heath embarked on the most significant journey of his life – the move to Nashville. There, he co-founded Ricochet, a band that skyrocketed to success with chart-topping hits and prestigious awards, including the New Vocal Group of the Year from the Academy of Country Music and several other CMA and ACM nominations. Top 10 hits (and even a multi-week #1) on the Billboard charts were no stranger to Heath and his band, Ricochet. During their highest point, Heath and Ricochet made numerous television appearances on Country Music Awards shows (as performers, presenters, and nominees), the Grand Ole Opry, and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. In 2011, Heath received a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sing lead vocals for Restless Heart, a band he admired since childhood. Despite his bustling career, Heath’s proudest achievement remains his son, Dustin Heath, and the cherished moments they share on the family ranch.
Today, while Heath continues to perform with Ricochet and Restless Heart, he also fronts his band, “Heath Wright & the Hangmen,” showcasing classic-style country music across Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas.
Guest Contact Info: