This week on the Here’s What We Know Podcast, host Gary Scott Thomas had an amazing and fun-filled chat with our special guest, the esteemed veterinarian, Dr. Dave Reed from Reed Animal Hospital, in the Bay Area. With years of experience under his belt and countless pet lives saved, his passion for his profession and dedication to animal welfare are truly inspiring. His journey started on a farm in the Midwest, where he grew up around animals, leading him initially to aspire to be a mixed animal practitioner.
Tune into this engaging conversation filled with personal anecdotes, professional expertise, humor, and heartfelt advice on caring for our furry friends!
This episode is sponsored by:
In This Episode:
- Being a Vet: Understand the commitment involved in becoming a vet – 8 years of education, including specialization
- Career Highlights: Hear about Dr.Dave’s memorable encounter with famous veterinarian James Herriot and how he decided against large animal practice.
- Fear Free Veterinary Medicine: Learn about ‘fear-free veterinary medicine’ that focuses on creating relaxed environments for pets and their owners.
- Dealing with Pets: Discover how to anticipate dog behavior to avoid bites and understand why cats can be more unpredictable than dogs.
- Pet Health Indicators: Find out when pet lethargy should cause concern and other signs of ill health in pets.
- Communication is Key: Learn how effective communication can address the many concerns of first-time pet owners.
- Changes Over Time: Reflect on the significant advancements in veterinary medicine over the past decades due to increased care levels for pets seen as family members rather than outdoor creatures.
“It’s surprising though, the number of people that ask me, they say, are you going to retire? And I think to myself, no, I don’t think so. You know? I love what I do. ~ Dr. Dave Reed
“Thank you to you, good pet owners. Because, to be honest with you, if we didn’t have good pet owners asking us to do these things, we would’ve been doing it just like we did it 30 years ago”. ~ Dr. Dave Reed
“They’re not our children, but they are a significant member of the family.” ~ Dr. Dave Reed
Dr. David Reed of Reed Animal Hospital grew up on a farm in Illinois and has loved animals since his childhood. An alumnus of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, he soon moved to the Bay Area, where he has made the exceptional veterinary care of cats and dogs his professional passion for more than three decades. He enjoys working with the community through low-cost vaccination clinics, speaking at local schools, and working with the Santa Clara County Sheriff K9 Unit. He considers working with the amazing police dogs some of his most rewarding work. Recently, “Dr. Dave” was voted one of the Bay Area’s Best Veterinarians, along with Dr. Dave’s Doggie Daycare as one of the Best Doggie Daycares, in Bay Woof Magazine’s Beast of the Bay Awards. Dr. Reed is highly respected and beloved by his furry patients and their families.