Grab some tissues for this episode! Brian Moran and Gary Scott Thomas went way off course from what they had planned on talking about, and the result was spectacular.
In This Episode:
- The illusion of security
- How Gary has double first cousins
- How coming from a big family helps you cut through the BS
- Being courageous in faith
- Viktor Frankl’s The Meaning of Life
- The lens of gratitude
- Practicing gratitude
- Running the NY City Marathon
- His upcoming book My 5 Conversations with God
- The importance of paying attention
- Thriving after bankruptcy
- How mental health is like trying to explain a TV to a caveman
- Helping his son with his mental health battles
- How the mountaintop and valley moments are all part of our purpose
- Taping into your courage
- His advice for parents who are helping their child through a mental health struggle
- The importance of no electronics days
- Not always offering advice to your children
- The gift his daughter reluctantly gave him
- “Buddy Days”
- The thing that made Gary cry
- Writing down what you’re worried about and seeing if it actually happened
- Treating everyone with love
- How a homeless person affected Brian
- An amazing Hindu proverb
- The one thing Brian wants people to take away from this episode
“The meaning of my life is not my job.” ~Brian Moran
“The meaning of your life can change over time.” ~Brian Moran
“When you are grateful for everything in your life, from the clothes you wear to your physical faculties and mental faculties, and just every single day, the food you eat, the family you have, even the obstacles that are in front of you and the fact that you have the ability to get around them–when you are grateful for all of that everything just looks beautiful.” ~Brian Moran
“It’s [faith] like a special power.” ~Brian Moran
“I’m not as anxious or stressed because I’m grateful for every day.” ~Brian Moran
“You have two options. You either move ahead, or you die.” ~Brian Moran
“Be comfortable getting out of your comfort zone.” ~Brian Moran
“Get into a zone where time stands still.” ~Brian Moran
“Get them [kids] off their phones…point out the small miracles to them.” ~Brian Moran
“Have days where you say this is a no electronics day
Be mindful of things they [your kids] don’t tell you.” ~Brian Moran
“What do you think the meaning of your life is today?” ~Brian Moran
“We’re only guaranteed today. We can only live in the present moment.” ~Brian Moran
We all have a limited amount of time…if you are waiting for something to happen, make it happen today.” ~Brian Moran
Brian is the founder and CEO of Small Business Edge, a global community platform for business owners and entrepreneurs to find answers to their most pressing questions and obstacles that keep them up at night.
Brian’s goal with Small Business Edge is to measurably increase the success rate of small businesses both in the United States and around the world!
Before launching Small Business Edge, he spent 20+ years helping America’s entrepreneurs realize their dreams. Prior to starting his 3rd company in 2012, he was the Executive Director of Sales Development at the Wall Street Journal overseeing the financial and small business markets across the WSJ franchise.
From 2002-2010, he ran Veracle Media & Moran Media Group–both content companies utilized various media channels to help entrepreneurs manage & grow their companies. Prior to launching these two companies, he was the Associate Publisher at Inc. Magazine, a Publisher and Associate Publisher at Entrepreneur Media, and held management positions at Success Magazine and Medical Economics Magazine.
His specialties include all areas, divisions, and channels within the small to midsize business market.
Guest’s Contact Info:
Join the discussion One Comment
Thank you Gary for a wonderfully entertaining and life-affirming conversation. I am grateful that we met and became friends, and I look forward to the next discussion.
p.s. Did you write your letter?